Basic woodshop safety rules
From Artisan's Asylum
These are the basic rules for safe use of the woodshop. If you do not follow these rules, we cannot let you use the shop.
- Do not cut metal on the woodshop tools.
- All powered woodcutting and sanding tools must be operated with dust collection equipment turned on and connected to the appropriate ports at all times.
- All wood must be processed according to our Materials Cutting Chart. This chart is also posted in the woodshop.
- NEVER machine wood that is highly toxic, moldy, or contains lead paint.
- NEVER use the power saws to cut wood containing any type of metal fasteners. If you are unsure whether a piece of wood contains metal fasteners, do not cut it!
- No wet or damp items of any type (including containers, rags, limbs) may be placed or left on horizontal machine surface.
- Food and beverages are allowed only on workbenches with ratty tops, never on any machine surface.
- When you are finished working, put all tools away and clean the machines and work space.
- Scrap wood should be placed in designated locations.
- Use vacuums or hand brushes to clean machinery.