Board Of Directors
From Artisan's Asylum
The Board of Directors of the Artisan’s Asylum represents the voting members by governing through written policies that direct, control, and inspire the organization. It deliberates in many voices, but governs in one. The Board is made up of members who are either elected by the voting members or are appointed by other Board members. The Chair of the Board is a member elected by the Board whose role is to assure the integrity of the Board’s process and to represent the Board to outside parties. The Board formally meets at least once a month to vote on resolutions, which are recorded in publicly available minutes. The Board may be contacted at board @artisansasylum.com.
- Tom Sanfilippo, Chair
- Elected term: Oct 2014 - Oct 2016. Tom’s professional background is software engineering, where for over 20 years he managed groups of up to 50 engineers, and led collaborative software projects between as many as 15 universities concurrently. He was the CTO for the Ohio State University, a research scientist for the Open Software Foundation Research Institute, and most recently a development manager for several products in the Microsoft Office suite. As a member of the Asylum Tom has worked to restore a scanning electron microscope to working order.
- Emily M. Garfield
- Elected term: Oct 2014 - Oct 2015. Emily is a Somerville based artist who creates intricate maps of imaginary places that explore the origins of cities and the function of maps themselves. She received her BA in Visual Arts from Brown University, where she also pursued studies in the brain’s response to art and aesthetic beauty through the Cognitive Science department. She has participated in exhibitions throughout the greater Boston area as well as New York and Philadelphia. Her work is in the collection of the Kamm Teapot Foundation as well as numerous private collections. Emily was the 2014 coordinator of Somerville Open Studios.
- Drew Van Zandt
- Elected term: Oct 2014 - Oct 2017. A Somerville based hardware design engineer and an artist, Drew also serves on the Board of the Firefly Arts Collective. He enjoys teaching electronics classes to folks of all ages and volunteers for various charities including the Animal Rescue League. Drew is on the staff of the Arisia, a large local science fiction convention.
- William Zimmer
- Appointed term: Nov 2014 - Nov 2016. Bill has a background in math and computer science, and studied at the Art Institute of Chicago while trying to figure what to be when he grew up. He builds furniture and software with equal enthusiasm, and is currently working on a robot that balances on a basketball. Bill has worked in different management roles in fortune 500 and smaller companies since the 1970’s and founded one of the pioneering Usability Research groups at Digital Equipment Corp. He feels his greatest accomplishment is one he had the least control of: his children and grandchildren.
- Paul Kassebaum ( - Jan 2016)
- James Dunn, Director (Appointed, Jan 2015 - Jun 2015)
- Rahul Bhargava, Director (Appointed, Oct 2013)
- Lisa Goldstein, Director (Appointed, - Oct 2014)
- Lenny Foner, Director (Chair, Elected, Oct 2013 - Aug 2014)
- W. Aaron Waychoff, Director (Chair, Elected, Oct 2013 - )
- Jesse Baer-Kahn, Director (Appointed)
- K. Gretchen Greene, Director (Appointed, Chair)
- Calvin Domenico, Director (Elected, June 2012 - )
- Aaron Falk, Director (Chair, Elected, June 2012 - )
- Mimi Graney, Director & Treasurer (Elected, June 2012 - Oct 2014)
- Benjamin Linder, Director & Secretary (by show of hands none opposing, 2010 - June 2012?)
- Jimmie Rodgers, Director (from merger, May 2010 - June 2012?)
- Jenn Martinez, Director & Treasurer (Founder, May 2010 - )
- Gui Cavalcanti, Director & President (Founder, Director May 2010 - Oct 2013)
The Officers of the Corporation shall be: Executive Director, President, a Secretary (or Clerk) and a Treasurer. The Corporation may also have a Chief Financial Officer, one or more Assistant Secretaries, one or more Assistant Treasurers, and such other officers as the Board of Directors may determine from time to time.
The Executive Director shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation and, subject to the control of the Board of Directors, shall have general charge and supervision of the affairs of the Corporation and, except as otherwise provided by the Articles of Organization, the By-laws and the Massachusetts General laws, the Executive Director shall see that all orders and resolutions of the Board are carried into effect.
The President shall be the primary elected representative of the Voting Members and perform the duties of the President as described in the By-laws.
Current President and Executive Director
Derek Seabury - Elected term Oct 2015 - Oct 2016.
Derek hasn’t let degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science or years of IT and Business Process consulting sway him from his delight in teaching. He led the community in building the Asylasaur laser cutter and managed the Digital Fabrication Lab prior to taking the helm of the Asylum. As President and Executive Director he hopes to educate, inspire and enable the community while evolving business operations to ensure the long term success of the institution. Derek has been a SCUBA instructor, award nominated set designer, film financier and world traveler and teaches a variety of Asylum classes.
- Molly Rubenstein
- Gui Cavalcanti
The Secretary shall cause minutes to be kept of the meetings of the Board of Directors in appropriate books. He or she shall give all notices of the meetings of the Board of Directors. He or she shall be the custodian of the records of the Corporation (other than those kept by the Treasurer) and of the corporate seal, and shall affix the latter when required. He or she shall in general perform all the duties incident to the office of Secretary, subject to the control of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee.
Andrew Hatzung Elected term Oct 2015 - Oct 2016.
- David Markowitz, Secretary (Elected Oct 2014 - Oct 2015)
- Ellen Blackburn, Secretary (Elected, Oct 2013 - Oct 2014)
- Carolyn Emberley, Secretary (Elected Jun 2012 - )
- Benjamin Linder, Director & Secretary (2010 - Jun 2012)
The Treasurer shall have supervision over the receipt and custody of the Corporation's funds, and shall cause to be kept correct and complete books and records of account, including full and accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements in books belonging to the Corporation, and in general shall perform such duties as are customary to the office of Treasurer. In addition, the Treasurer shall perform such other duties as the Board of Directors or the Executive Director may from time to time assign to the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall be provided with a bond for the faithful discharge or his or her duties in such amount as the Board of Directors or the Executive Committee may require.
Jonathan Card Elected term Oct 2015 - Oct 2016
- Mimi Graney, Director & Treasurer
- Jenn Martinez, Director & Treasurer
Michael Semone. Appointed. Term ends in October 2015.
- Committee Chair, Treasurer, Jonathan Card.
- President, Derek Seabury
Artisan's Asylum has an Advisory Council for excited and experienced individuals who want to assist the Asylum but who can't commit to a sustained interaction. For more information, please contact the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.