From Artisan's Asylum
|Managed By||Karen Christians, Cleverwerx|
|Hours||Same as membership hours|
|Operational Status of Tools||Summary for all Jewelry tools|
|Tool Maintenence Tickets||All open tickets for Jewelry tools|
What is the Jewelry Area?
The Jewelry Studio is a fully functional studio for jewelry/metalsmithing. Weekly classes, weekend workshops and private instruction is available.
The Jewelry area provides tools to fabricate jewelry (embellishment and adornment), sculpture, and practical objects.
Treat tools and equipment carefully and put them back, clean, where you found them so they will be there next time!
Metalsmithing (available in the Hot Craft Studio) is the fabrication of small objects using the tools within Jewelry, although the finished objects are not necessarily jewelry items. Jewelry generally means anything that exists for adornment.
Common Metalsmithing Skills
- Buffing station with hooded exhaust (tapered mandrels, provide your own buffs/compounds)
- 6" bench shear for non-ferrous metals includes round-stock shearing hole
- 4" flat rolling mill
- 6 Acetylene/air torches (Smith brand with #0 and #1 tips)
- 6 Flex-shaft machines with foot controls and #30-style hand pieces
- Pumice pans and fire brick for soldering/annealing
- Electric pickle pots
- Jeweler's saw frames
- Bench pins w/ anvil surfaces
- Pliers and cutters
- Small general purpose vise
- Metal Forming Table
- Anvil (50lb)
- Rolling Mill
- Specialty Hammers/Mandrel
- Steel Forming Plates
- Hydraulic Press
- Disc cutters
- Large heat-resistant work area with exhaust hood
- A forming area with a variety of small anvils, blocks, hammers, mallets and punches
- A fully-outfitted jeweler's bench for instructors and advanced users
- Wet/Dry Sandpaper
Consumables Not provided
- Solder, flux, metals, etc
- Buffs and compounds
- Saw blades
- Bits and burrs for the flex-shaft machines. (a miscellaneous assortment may be available at any given time.)
Karen Christians, Cleverwerx in space #63 stocks some consumables for sale. Private lessons are available with Karen Christians at $40 per hour, 3 hour minimum. Please contact her at cleverwerx @gmail.com.
Classes offered in Jewelry/Metalsmithing can be found here.
Offered in a variety of topics, rotating selection. Usually 1/2 or full day on a weekend.
PreReq: None Learn the basics of jewelry fabrication techniques. These include piercing, drilling, silver soldering, filing, sanding, annealing, torch operation, riveting, and forming. Students execute a final project with a bezel-set cabochon semi-precious stone. A material fee will be charged. 6 weeks.
PreReq: Jewelry 101 or Equivalent: Build on the foundations learned in Jewelry I and learn intermediate jewelry skills such as hydraulic press, disc cutting and dapping, advanced mechanisms such as hinges, and more. A material fee will be charged. 6 weeks.
Independent or Self-Directed Jewelry
PreReq: Jewelry 201 or Equivalent: Self directed projects with assistance of an instructor. May run concurrently with Jewelry 201.
Tool Training and Testing
Friday evenings. Contact Karen Burke or sign up through Eventbrite.
- Resin Inlay
- Bang out a Bangle
- Spinning Ring
- Ring with Bezel set cabochon
- Make a Pendant
- Buttons for Clothing
- Leather and Silver Cuffs
- Metal Puppet
- Sign in.
- Put things back where they came from. Sweep up bench tops and floor.
- Properly shut down torch: bleed lines, back off the pressure.
- Take care of tools, use them properly and do not damage tools.
- Be careful with water! While water is mandatory for many jewelry processes, it can ruin steel tools. Keep things dry.
- Do not work on steel or aluminum in the area -- ever!
- Pay attention to the maximum material thicknesses and types when using tools, especially cutting and bending tools.
Common Hot Craft Skills
Tool Training and Testing
Training is required (and available) for the following tools. If you are already proficient, testing sessions are also available to get signed off. The training and testing information is available on these pages:
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Jewelry"
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category "Jewelry"
This category contains only the following file.