Category:Jewelry Flex Shafts
From Artisan's Asylum
|Jewelry Flex Shafts|
A tool species is a logical grouping of tools based on similarity of function, use, and safety.
|Asylum Tool Species Info|
|To use any of the tools listed on this page, you are required to complete the testing program described here. You should get training or equivalent experience at the Asylum or elsewhere before testing.|
|Rubric||Jewelry Flex Shaft Rubric|
|Training||Tool Training: Hot Craft Studio Jewelry Shop|
|Testing||By appointment after taking class.|
|Operational Status||Summary for all Jewelry Flex Shafts|
|Maintenence Tickets||All open tickets for Jewelry Flex Shafts|
This document is an internal Artisan's Asylum training document and is provided "as is", to be used as a reference only. Use of this document for any purposes other than as reference material (i.e., for the purposes of training and testing users on tools or equipment by other commercial entities or individuals) is not advised. In no event shall the authors of this material, or Artisan's Asylum, Inc., be liable for any claim, damages, or other liability whether in action or contract, arising from, out of, or in connection with the use of the information in this document for training, testing, or on-going safe use of fabrication equipment. Please consult your own lawyers and subject matter experts if you are looking to develop your own safety curriculum for fabrication equipment operation. Tool operators are responsible for their own safety, including reading and understanding the owners manual for this equipment and all of the warnings it contains.
- Hair tied back, Safety glasses on, dangling jewelry stowed
- Take foot off of pedal when switching accessories.
- Flex Shaft Testing Rubric
Mounting a Flex Shaft
- Mount a stand on the work table with red C clamp and secure.
- Hook on stand should be facing right and inline with table.
- Rheostat is at right and on the floor. Connect the flex shaft power to the rheostat.
- Flex Shafts accessories are for right handed operation.
- Drills, Burs require lubrication before operating.
- Always wear eye protection.
- Examine cutting bits for broken fins or heads. Throw away broken bits and burs.
- Accessories are inserted by rotating the flex shaft key into the Jacobs Chuck and opening and closing.
- The Jacobs Chuck has three indentations. Engage each one while tightening an accessory if necessary.
- Give your tool a test spin to be certain the accessory is mounted properly. This is especially important when using drill bits.
- To mount handpiece
- engage flex shaft slowly
- insert into handpiece. Key is self centering and will connect.
- Do not jam or spin fast.
- Handpiece can only be disconnected when NOT moving.
- Drill press uses only foredom handpiece on faculty bench.
- Rotate shaft and insert into chuck on drill press.
- Handpiece in drill press should never be removed
- Set drill press with minimum travel
- For drilling a hole, use center punch
This category currently contains no pages or media.