From Artisan's Asylum
The Artisan's Asylum is primarily a member run organization. With limited staff, Artisan's Asylum needs all members to contribute in some way to make this place more awesome!
- Check the Volunteer Calendar for upcoming Volunteer events. We have a monthly volunteer night as well as shop and task specific work-days.
- Subscribe to volunteers@ mailing list to find out about additional ad hoc volunteer projects (about 1-2 emails per month). Send a blank email to email@example.com to subscribe to the list.
Share your skills
- Teach. You can propose a class or tool training to add to our education programming.
- Help other people. Share your skills and inspiration. Join the discuss mailing list. Answer people's questions.
- Volunteer to test new members on shop equipment. Fill in this form to indicate your interest.
Be an Artisan's Asylum Ambassador
- Make what you imagine. It's what we're here for.
- Tell people about us. Word of mouth is one of the #1 ways people find out about us.
- Tag your work with #madeatartisans
- Tweet about us, tag us on Facebook.
- Give a tour. Want to help out by showing the public, students and potential members what we do? Consider giving a tour! Here a quick 2 page guide to reference.
- Join the Fundraising Committee - email subscribe-fundraising-com@.
- Join the Events Committee - email subscribe-events-com@ meeting quarterly to organize and coordinate events.
- Review us on Facebook & Yelp.
- Add our announcement emails to your inbox.
Become a deskie
- Front desk volunteers (Deskies) are the Asylum’s front line greeters for curious visitors, potential donors, the press, new students, and prospective members. Deskies serve as the primary resource for new members in getting oriented and to existing members looking for help with information and solutions. General duties include:
- Providing security by regulating access to the space during staffed hours.
- Answering 300+ phone calls and emails/month. You can reach the front desk via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sending members package notifications when mail is received. We've sent over 16,000 package notifications!
- Greeting visitors and giving over 1,000 tours every year.
- Helping with paperwork.
- Applications for the front desk are posted at http://artisansasylum.com/volunteer/ when available.
Support the Infrastructure
- Become an Awesomenaut.
- Join the maintenance@ list to (send an email to email@example.com).
- Join the IT Committee - email subscribe-it-com@.
- Join the A3VClub for Audio/Visual support for Artisan's and member events.
- Got spare tools we might need? Contact donate@ with the details.
Support each other
- Join the welcome-brigade to help welcome new members.
- Donate to the Asylum Grants and help others get access to our services.
Support the Shops
CNC Plasma Cutter Tasks
- Make bad consumable examples. Find bad consumables and mount them with a description of what the failure mode is.
- Laminate water tank operation instructions.
Welding area tasks
- Label welding helmets so the shade can easily be identified.
- Make storage for tank caps.
- Make storage for tank empty white tubes.
- Make additional tank empty tubes for empty tanks.
- 5S work station on welders. See Rob Masek for requirements.
Wayfinding / Signage
|NOTE: An update to the map is in progress as of November 2015.|
- Make an "all things" map of the space. Includes trash / recycling locations, waste management in all shops (e.g. dust collectors, with an icon + short description), color key items of the shop are painted in, lost & found, water fountain, filtered water and other key locations in the space.
- Mark the trash can locations.
- A stencil needs to be made of the trash can locations. It's base circle should be large enough so the trash can will not block the outline.
- The floor will need to be cleaned and washed before it is time to spray the stencils.
- Label all trash cans with laminated signs (see member-services@ for signs).
We look forward to your contributions! If you would like to add to or edit this wiki, please:
- Get yourself an account
- Familiarize yourself with wiki use.
- Flagged wiki pages
- Subcategory of policies and how-to documentation specifically related to our computers, networks, and information
15 Minute tasks
Just have 15 minutes today? Here are a few great ideas to help out: