Circuit Hacking Night
From Artisan's Asylum
The E&R lab will be available for non-members to learn basic electronics and work on projects.
Wednesday nights 6PM - 8PM.
A free basic intro to soldering class and advice and supervision as you work on a project. You do not have to pay anything to attend, and need not be a member. Everyone should sign up through Eventbrite and bring a project or buy one at the Asylum.
E&R Lab director Jimmie Rodgers description: We'll give a brief into to electronics, and then will have a number of kits for sale for people who would like to make something. This is also a fund-raising event for the Asylum, all instructors will be volunteers, so the donations and the margins will go towards E&R for new tools and parts.
We'll only be going over a basic overview of soldering and electronics, which will be enough to build a kit from instructions. We also have a full soldering course that will go over things much more in-depth.
Electronic Kits Available
Circuit Hacking night is a fundraiser for the E&R lab. If you would like a project to work on the profit from sales of any of these kits will help keep the lab up and running. Currently we have the following available.
- Diavolino w/ Battery pack ($15)
- A low-cost but shield compliant Arduino clone. Needs FTDI programmer.
- Boarduino ($20)
- A breadboard compatible Arduino clone. Needs FTDI programmer.
- Open Heart ($20)
- A wearable heart shaped LED matrix for the Arduino.
- Relay Shield W/ googly eye Shield ($20)
- A shield for controlling large sources of power. (such as AC power from the wall)
- Motor Shield ($20)
- A shield for controlling both DC and stepper motors easily.
- Gamby ($25)
- A game shield for the Arduino.
- LoL Shield ($25)
- A 14x9 LED matrix that is easy to program, and can display text, animations, games, etc.
- Available in Red, Green and other colors.
- An UV LoL Shield is available for $10 more. The cheapest way to get high brightness UV LEDs!
Complete Arduino kits
- Arduino Starter Pack with LoL Shield ($50)
- Comes with everything you need to get started with Arduino, as well as a LoL shield. (UV +$10)
- Meggy Jr RGB ($75)
- An Arduino based game system with a 8x8 RGB display. Needs FTDI programmer.
- Bulbdial Clock ($95)
- A beautiful clock that is something like a digital sundial.
- Our kits include the Chronodot and case.
- FTDI Friend ($15)
- A USB to serial programmer for most Arduino clones and kits.
- Not a kit, but allows programming of Arduino boards that don't have a USB port.
- ISP Shield ($15)
- A shield for programming AVR chips.
- Budget shield 3x pack ($15)
- A 3 pack of cheap prototyping shields that are Arduino compatible.
- MiniPOV3 ($20)
- A column of 9 LEDs that you can use to display text and images with persistence of vision.
- Minty Boost ($20)
- A USB charger for your digital devices that runs on 2xAA.
- TV-B-Gone ($20)
- A kit that turns off TVs in public places. So much fun!
- Art Relay Board ($20)
- A programmable digital timer and relay. Can be used for all kinds of imbedded art projects!
- Drawdio ($20)
- A simple noise maker that allows you to change the sound by drawing!
- APC Kit ($25)
- A simple sound synthesizer kit. You'll need your own Altoids style case or something similar.