New England museums
From Artisan's Asylum
New England has been a key area of the world in technological advancement for at least 150 years. We have lots of places full of cool old machines. Here are some.
Less than an hour or so from AA
- Battleship Cove Fall River, MA
A full-size battleship, several other WW II-era military vessels, and a historic carousel
- Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation Waltham, MA
Houses the first motorcycle engine, watches copied by the Swiss, and hosts an annual Steampunk Festival. Also has a functional linotype and belt-drive machine tools. Asylum <3 CRMI.
- Charlestown Navy Yard Charlestown, MA
Exhibits on rope and chain manufacture, and other shipyard activities. USS Constitution and USS Cassin Young museum ships.
- Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments at Harvard University Cambridge, MA
- Concord Museum Concord, MA
- Fuller Craft Museum Brockton, MA
- Harvard Science Museum Cambridge MA
Has a collection of glass flowers used for anatomical studies.
- Larz Anderson Auto Museum Boston, MA
- MIT Museum Cambridge, MA
- Hart Natical Collection at MIT Cambridge, MA Exhibit of boat and ship models.
- Museum of Printing Andover, MA
- Museum of Science Boston, MA
Big urban science museum. Lightning show with one of the world's largest Van De Graff generators.
- New Bedford Whaling Museum New Bedford, MA
- Old Schwamb Mill Arlington, MA
- The Plumbing Museum Watertown, MA
- Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site Saugus, MA
Many positive reviews from Asylum members; very pretty and with huge old machines to look at.
- Lowell National Historical Park Lowell, MA
- Waterworks Museum Boston, MA
- Bay State Model Railroad Museum Roslindale, MA
Open for special events, has a number of large model railroad layouts.
- French Cable Station Museum Orleans, MA
Small museum on Cape Cod where the first trans-Atlantic cable came ashore. Open June to September.
- Museum of Our Industrial Heritage Greenfield, MA
- Old Sturbridge Village Sturbridge MA
Historic re-enactment village
- Springfield History Museum Springfield MA
- Springfield Armory Springfield MA
- Worcester Historical Museum exhibit "In Their Shirtsleeves" Worcester, MA
- Mystic Seaport Mystic, CT
- New England Air Museum Windsor Locks, CT
- Timexpo Waterbury, CT
- Eli Whitney Museum Hamden, CT
- Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum Willimantic, CT
- Windham Textile & History Museum Willimantic, CT
- Shore Line Trolley Museum/Branford Electric Railway Association, East Haven CT
- The Davistown Museum Hull's Cove, ME
"Our special emphasis is on the shipsmiths and edge toolmakers who made the hand tools that facilitated the florescence of New England’s maritime and industrial economy from 1607 to 1930. Relevant trades include the iron forgemaster, blacksmith, shipwright, cooper, wheelwright, sail maker, pattern maker, and, after 1870, machinist, tool and die maker, and mechanic."
- Owls Head Transportation Museum Owls Head, ME
A variety of cars, airplanes, bicycles, stationary engines, and other machinery.
- Seal Cove Auto Museum Mount Desert Island, ME
- USS Albacore Portsmouth, ME
- Maine State Museum Augusta, ME
An 1840s locomotive, historical recreations of old workshops, weaving looms, engines, and other machines.
- Telephone History Museum
- New England Wireless and Steam Museum East Greenwich, RI
- Providence Jewelry Museum Providence, RI
Reportedly has awesome machinery but does not have regular open hours
- Rhode Island Computer Museum North Kingston, RI
Open weekly and by appointment.
- Rhode Island Retro-Computing Society (RCS) Providence, RI
Open the third Saturday of each month or by appointment. Folks discuss and fix old computers.
- Herreshoff Marine Museum Bristol, RI
Museum preserving boats built by Herreshoff Manufacturing Company
- Slater Mill Pawtucket, RI
First mechanized cotton mill in the US.