From Artisan's Asylum
See Milk Row Creative Zone for a map of creative and innovative organizations in our immediate vicinity.
Adult Education Programs
- The Eliot School in Jamaica Plain offers a variety of craft and fine arts classes.
- MetalWerx in Waltham is a community studio that also offers classes on jewelry making and other metal arts.
- Brookline Arts Center, a non-degree school for the visual arts committed to stimulating individual creative expression.
- Mudflat pottery studio
- The North Bennet Street School, in Boston, which offers classes in fine craftsmanship (like woodworking, jewelry making, bookbinding).
- Prospect Hill Forge in Waltham will teach you blacksmithing.
- Other spaces, including AS220 in Providence, MakeItLabs in Lowell
Somerville Studio Space for Artists:
- Brickbottom (live/work)
- Vernon Street Studios
- 11 Miller (20 artists & musicians)
- 226 Pearl (10 spaces)
- Central Street (20 spaces)
- Joy Street (52 spaces)
- Mix-It (7 units live/work)
- Mystic (4 painters, 1 mixed media, 1 ceramics artist)
- Washington Street (10 artists, gallery, darkroom)
- Fort Point
- Red Tail artists' collective
- BUILDS, Boston University's student-run research lab and workshop.
- MITERS, MIT's student-run workshop.
- FabLab Program at MIT. "Fab labs provide widespread access to modern means for invention."
- sprout, in Davis Square: "a social design firm devoted to creating and supporting the community-driven learning, teaching, and investigation of science." Once our fiscal sponsor.
- Dorkbot Boston, the local Dorkbot group. "People doing strange things with electricity.
- New England Model Engineering Society, "for those who enjoy metal working and machining."
Arts / Business Services
- Artist Link Org space finder for artists
- Partners List: The Boston Foundation, Mass Cultural Council, N.E. Foundation for the Arts, Leveraging Investments in Creativity (national), LEF foundation (grants to visual and mixed media artists, filmmakers), Local Initiatives Support Foundation, the Artists Foundation, artspace.org (not-for-profit real estate developer), etc.
- FIRST Robotics
- Somerville Arts Council
- Union Square Main Streets
- Arts at the Armory
- Factories Around Boston tours group
- Boston Media Makers
- Pecha Kucha pechakuchaboston.org/blog JFeathersmith suggests we could do a 20 slides /20 sec per slide presentation there sometime.
- Cambridge Arts Council
- Arlington Arts Council
- North Cambridge Artists Assn http://www.noca-arts.org/
- Nonevent - A group that puts on a regular series of concerts in Boston. http://www.nonevent.org/
recommended by one of our students for reaching electronic music/circuit-bending folks