Tasks can typically be done by one person over the course of a couple of hours.
Contrast tasks with processes, which are collections of tasks. Processes often require multiple participants and take days, weeks, or longer.
Examples of tasks at Artisan's include:
- Focusing the laser on the laser cutter
- Reserving a tool
- Changing the speed of a drill press
- Creating a tool page on the wiki
Writing a task document
Follow these best practices when writing task documentation:
- Do not mix document types. Break out references or concepts into their own wiki article.
- Draft your documentation on a collaboration platform like Google Docs first. Ask for feedback on your draft from others, especially subject matter experts.
- Follow the style guide.
- Do not duplicate information that's on a different wiki page -- instead, link to the other page, so that we maintain one source of authoritative information.
- Test your documentation by trying to complete the task using the instructions.
- Publish your documentation on the wiki once you're happy with it!